Undergraduate Medical Education Program
Maricopa Integrated Health System (MIHS) is an urban teaching hospital affiliated with the University of Arizona, the Mayo Graduate School of Medicine and many community hospitals. There are over 240 full-time physician faculty and more than 200 residents involved in nine ACGME accredited graduate medical education programs.
We invite you to consider the opportunities for medical students at MIHS. Our attending physicians and residents are committed to providing the highest quality undergraduate medical education and exceptional clinical experiences.
Active participation in all of our educational and clinical activities enhance clinical decision making skills and the ability to work closely with residents, attending physicians, residency program directors and other allied health professionals.
We offer required 3rd year core clerkships and 4th year electives. Our 4th year electives are open to students from across the country and schools in the Caribbean. We make every effort to meet your scheduling needs and learning objectives.
Each department selects their own applicants and may have different requirements. For an application and additional information please use the links below to visit each department’s website.
- Internal Medicine
- Orthopedic Surgery
- Primary Care Sports Medicine
Students can only do 2 rotations per academic year. All applications for student rotations must be submitted to Academic Affairs 2 months (60 days) prior to the rotation month. All applications must be submitted to the GME Committee for final approval.
- Letter of Good Standing
- Certificate of Liability Insurance in the amount of $1,000,000/$3,000,000
- Immunizations – MMR, Hepatitis B, Varicella, Tetanus (within the last 10 years, TB (within 1 year of rotation date)
- Proof of Health Insurance
- Verification of HIPAA Training (may be included in the letter of good standing)
- Copy of student ID, Passport or State issued ID
- USMLE/COMLEX Scores – 4th year students and students from foreign medical schools
- Background Check – If a background check has been done by the school this can be noted in the letter of good standing. However if the school cannot verify that a satisfactory background check was performed applicants must complete an MIHS background check. There is an $81.00 fee which is the responsibility of the applicant.
- DPS Level One Fingerprint Card – A valid fingerprint card will be accepted in lieu of a background check
If you are a 4th year student in a LCME or COCA accredited school please check with your school to see if they are participating in the VSAS program. If your school is currently enrolled you will need to apply for your electives through VSAS. Please see the link below: