Undergraduate Medical Education
At MIHS, we support numerous educational experiences and offer continued education and growth for all student and learner types. We welcome and encourage students who would like to spend time with us to apply. At MIHS, we will offer you the best possible experience to enhance your health care knowledge.
Medical Student Rotations
MIHS is an urban teaching hospital affiliated with Creighton University, Mayo Graduate School of Medicine, Midwestern University, the University of Arizona and many other community hospitals. There are over 240 full-time physician faculty and more than 300 residents involved in thirteen accredited graduate medical education programs. We invite you to consider the opportunities for medical students at MIHS. Our attending physicians and residents are committed to providing the highest quality undergraduate medical education and exceptional clinical experiences.
Active participation in all our educational and clinical activities enhance clinical decision-making skills and the ability to work closely with residents, attending physicians, residency program directors and other allied health professionals.
Students have the opportunity to do four rotations per academic year and must meet all educational needs and objectives. All applications for student rotations must be submitted to Academic Affairs two months (60 days) prior to the rotation month. All applications must be submitted to the GME Committee for final approval.
- Letter of Good Standing
- Certificate of Liability Insurance in the amount of $1,000,000/$3,000,000
- Immunizations – MMR, Hepatitis B, Varicella, Tetanus (within the last 10 years, TB (within 1 year of rotation date)
- Proof of Health Insurance
- Verification of HIPAA Training (may be included in the letter of good standing)
- Copy of student ID, Passport or State issued ID
- USMLE/COMLEX Scores – 4th year students and students from foreign medical schools
- Background Check – If a background check has been done by the school this can be noted in the letter of good standing.
- However, if the school cannot verify that a satisfactory background check was performed applicants must complete an MIHS
- background check. There is a $36 fee which is the responsibility of the applicant.
- DPS Level One Fingerprint Card – A valid fingerprint card will be accepted in lieu of a background check
If you are a fourth-year student in a LCME or COCA accredited school please check with your school to see if they are participating in the VSAS program. If your school is currently enrolled you will need to apply for your electives through VSAS.
We offer required third year core clerkships and fourth year electives. Our fourth-year electives are open to students from across the country and schools in the Caribbean. We make every effort to meet your educational needs and objectives.