Building Our Future
The Building Our Future Bond Program will help MIHS sustain its historic role as Maricopa County's premier public teaching hospital and safety net health system of care. This program will ensure our organization continues to be recognized for high quality care, innovation and service.
Building Our Future Bond Program followed recommendations of an independent 15-member Bond Advisory committee that spent months studying Maricopa Integrated Health System (MIHS) and conducting extensive public hearings across the county.
In 2014, Maricopa County voters approved Proposition 480 by an overwhelming 63 to 37 percent margin to develop, improve and expand MIHS health care facilities for outpatient and behavioral health care throughout Maricopa County, and expand our teaching hospital.
The Proposition 480 Implementation Planning Findings and Recommendations report includes:
- Greater emphasis on providing care outside the hospital walls, integrating behavioral health care with medical care to treat the whole person.
- Set a construction timeline between now and 2022 for development of neighborhood health centers, specialty centers and an acute care and behavioral health campus.
- Implementing the strategic capital plan to improve MIHS's future financial position and enhance its ability to meet community needs.
- Ensure a modern, efficient network of services and facilities in which to train the next generation of physicians, nurses and allied health professionals.
- Provide a "fit test" that shows the main hospital campus can accommodate construction of new acute and behavioral health hospitals while operations continue in the existing facilities.
This plan allows MIHS staff, stakeholders and the general public to follow our community public health system's direction in the coming years. Click here for complete plan findings and recommendations.