Undergraduate Medical Education
At MIHS, we support numerous educational experiences and offer continued education and growth for all student and learner types. We welcome and encourage students who would like to spend time with us to apply. At MIHS, we will offer you the best possible experience to enhance your health care knowledge.
Medical Student Rotations
MIHS is an urban teaching hospital affiliated with Creighton University, Mayo Graduate School of Medicine, Midwestern University, the University of Arizona and many other community hospitals. There are over 240 full-time physician faculty and more than 300 residents involved in thirteen accredited graduate medical education programs. We invite you to consider the opportunities for medical students at MIHS. Our attending physicians and residents are committed to providing the highest quality undergraduate medical education and exceptional clinical experiences.
Active participation in all our educational and clinical activities enhance clinical decision-making skills and the ability to work closely with residents, attending physicians, residency program directors and other allied health professionals.
Students have the opportunity to do four rotations per academic year and must meet all educational needs and objectives. Applications and all required documentation is submitted to respective departments 75-90 days in advance, depending on department policy.
All applications must be submitted to the GME Committee for final approval.
- Curriculum vitae or biographical sketch
- Letter of Good Standing (excludes Observers) must include rotation and exact start/end date
- Copy of school ID, passport or state issued ID card
- Acknowledgment of Confidentiality
- Verification of HIPPA training (can be included in Letter of Good Standing including date if given at school)
- Background check (can be included in Letter of Good Standing. If medical school is unable to provide written verification that a background check has been done, an MIHS online background check is required. There a $36 fee which is the responsibility of the applicant). A DPS Level 1 Fingerprint Clearance Card will be accepted in lieu of a background check.
- Proof of current Basic Life Support Certification
- Documentation of a cleared drug screen
- Proof of the following immunizations in the format of either a summary report from the school, MIHS or AAMC immunization sheet. Health records and lab reports will not be accepted.
- Hep B
- Varicella (Chicken Pox) Titer
- Tetanus (within 10 years), Tdap
- TB (within 1 year), CXR or Quantiferon
- Flu Vaccine (seasonal)
If you are a fourth-year student in a LCME or COCA accredited school please check with your school to see if they are participating in the VSAS program. If your school is currently enrolled you will need to apply for your electives through VSAS.
We offer required third year core clerkships and fourth year electives. Our fourth-year electives are open to students from across the country and schools in the Caribbean. We make every effort to meet your educational needs and objectives.