Skip to Main Content
Skip to Main Content
Community Strength Project

Frequently Asked Questions

MIHS image 0 Frequently Asked Questions

What is Part D?
The Part D program, a part of the Ryan White Comprehensive AIDS Resource Emergency (CARE) Act, focuses on providing coordinated, culturally competent, family-centered medical care to women, infants, children and youth (under the age of 25). It also pays for other services, like case management and childcare, that help clients get the care they need. Maricopa Integrated Health System has been the Federal grantee for Title IV in Maricopa County since August 1998. Consumers who use these services have recently named this Title IV program the Community Strength Project. For more information, see About Part D Program.

Return to Top

What kinds of services are available through  Part D?

 In Maricopa County, Part D pays for the following:

To contact these organizations, see Provider List.

Return to Top

Who can receive Part D services?

 Any HIV positive woman, male youth under the age of 25, children, and their affected family members.

Return to Top

Do the services cost any money?

If you qualify as one of the eligible groups listed above in Question 3, you may receive these services without any cost to you. The only exception is for medical visits. Depending on your income level, you may be required to pay a co-pay for medical visits.

Return to Top

I am new to Phoenix. How do I get medical care for my HIV?

A good way to get connected to care is to contact Care Directions, where they can help you find out what assistance is available to you for your medical care and help you get enrolled. Or, you could contact the McDowell Healthcare Center and start the process there.
  • Care Directions: 602-264-2273
  • McDowell Healthcare Center: 602-344-5330

Return to Top

How do I “sign up” for Part D services?

There are several ways to get Part D services, but the best way is through a Part D case manager at Care Directions. You can make an appointment to talk to a case manager by calling 602-264-2273.

Return to Top

Can my family receive Part D services even if they are not HIV positive?


Yes, if you are an HIV positive woman, youth, or child, your family members are eligible for support services through Part D.

Return to Top

How can I get involved?

 You can be involved in several ways:
  • Participate fully in your own care
  • Volunteer at an HIV service organization
  • Become a member of the Consumer Advisory Board of the Community Strength Project

Return to Top

What is a Consumer Advocate? What can one do for me?

A consumer advocate is a person like yourself who has been through many of the same experiences that you may be facing now. They know what you are going through and want to help you in any way they can.

A consumer advocate can do the following:  

  • Listen to your concerns, 
  • Help you to find services that you need, 
  • Connect you to case managers to help you, 
  • Go with you to your first appointment, and
  • Send you e-mails with community announcements, news of upcoming events, and other information.

Return to Top

Can I get some help getting to my doctor appointments?

If you need transportation to your doctor appointments, the place to start is with your case manager at Care Directions. They may be able help you with getting bus passes and other kinds of transportation assistance.

Return to Top

Can someone help me understand how to take my HIV medications?

If you are already a client at McDowell Healthcare Center, you may ask to see a Medication Adherence nurse or case manager, and they can help you. If you are not already a client at McDowell, you can work through your case manager to get help.

Return to Top

If I want to talk to someone who is dealing with similar problems, whom do I call?

 You can call the Family Advocate, Lorraine Brown, at 602-344-2627.

Return to Top

How do I find out about events and community information?

You can check our web page under the Family Advocate’s e-message, which is updated often, or the web pages of other AIDS Services Organizations, such as Southwest Center.

Return to Top

How can my family and friends be tested for HIV?

 HIV Counseling and Testing is available several places:
  • Maricopa County Department of Public Health 
  • Southwest Center
    602-307-5330 (walk-ins welcome)

Return to Top

Are there support groups I can join?

There are support groups for many different purposes. There is a women's support group that meets weekly at McDowell Clinic. The McDowell Women’s Group meets every Thursday from 9:30am – 11:00am at the McDowell Healthcare Center, 1101 North Central, Phoenix. Breakfast is  provided with guest speakers and activities, women are welcome.
For families with an HIV positive child, there are support groups at the Bill Holt Clinic at Phoenix Children’s Hospital. For more information, call 602-546-0955.

Return to Top

How do I volunteer for the program?

You can volunteer for the Community Strength Project as a member of the Consumer Advisory Board. Applications are available online (English or Spanish), or call Lorraine Brown at 602-344-2627 and she can get you an application. Among other volunteer opportunities available are those at MIHS and the Volunteer Center

Return to Top

How can I get mental health or substance abuse services?

If you are uninsured, Ryan White mental health and substance services are available at McDowell Healthcare Center and other providers. If you have private insurance or Medicare, you can also be seen at McDowell. Call 602-344-6550 for an appointment. If you have AHCCCS, you must contact Value Options at 602-644-1122. 

Return to Top

Am I eligible for dental care?

If you are don’t have dental insurance, and if you are eligible (185% of Federal Poverty Level), you can sign up for Ryan White dental services through the Maricopa County Department of Public Health. Call 602-506-6684 for more information. You can then have your dental care at McDowell, or with any dentist who is part of the Delta Dental Insurance program.

Return to Top

How can I remember to take all my medications every day?

Use a pillbox organizer. Pillbox organizers are an inexpensive way to organize your daily medications and serve as a reminder for you to take each pill prescribed in your drug regimen. Pillboxes have a compartment for each day of the week. Once a week, fill the compartments with each pill as prescribed daily. Stop worrying if you've forgotten to take one of your medications. Ask your doctor, pharmacist, or local clinic for a pillbox organizer. If you receive care at McDowell Health Care Center, please notify one of the staff who will assist you with tips on how to manage your medications. McDowell Health Care Center is located at 1101 N. Central Avenue Suite 200, Phoenix, AZ and the phone number is (602) 344-6550.

Return to Top

Access MyChart

Your Secure Online Health Connection

Connect Now


Use the drop down for access to contact numbers or Contact Us via email>>


View All News >>
  • May 21, 2018
    Taylor Swift Visits MIHS’s Arizona Burn Center

    Superstar Taylor Swift visited a  young burn patient at the Arizona Burn Center before kicking off her concert tour in Phoenix Read More

  • May 20, 2018
    Beanies for Babies

    Cigna employees knitted beanies for our tiniest babies in MIHS’s Level III NICU Read More

  • April 25, 2018
    MIHS Featured in KJZZ Story about the First Episode Center

    Thanks to KJZZ Phoenix for featuring Hudson's story and the MIHS First Episode Center, an innovative treatment and support program that treats teens and young adults at the earliest stage – or first episode – of psychosis. Early intervention is key to help individuals live healthy and productive lives. Read More

  • February 28, 2018
    MIHS to expand West Valley emergency and behavioral health services

    Maricopa Integrated Health System is proud to announce it is acquiring the Maryvale hospital and reopening its Emergency Department to provide the local community access to board-certified emergency medicine physicians 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Read More